SickKids CCMH offers a variety of different topics relevant to community parents and focuses on concerns that children and youth may be dealing with. These parent education workshops are free to attend, and offered at both location sites, Sheppard and Maitland. Presently, they occur monthly, and registration is required.
Child care is available. Select titles below for more information on the workshop and on how to register.
Helping your child cope with worries
Introductory workshop for parents of children with mild to moderate anxiety
Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018
6 to 8 p.m.
114 Maitland Street, Toronto
SickKids Centre for Community Mental Health
How to validate so your teen will talk
Building trusting relationships with your teen to help reduce their anxiety, manage stress and develop more meaningful communication
Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018
6 to 7:30 p.m.
1645 Sheppard Avenue West, Toronto
SickKids Centre for Community Mental Health
Lord Lansdowne/da Vinci is part of a program in the TDSB for Outdoor Play and Learning (OPAL).
Like last year, we will collect your used Christmas trees as materials for students to play with as part of the OPAL initiative.
You may drop off your tree by the storage shed in the schoolyard. We will accept trees until Friday January 18, 2018.
We are looking forward to seeing the students use these natural materials in their play.
Thank-you for your ongoing support in OPAL!
Your LL/daV OPAL Team
Give the gift of warmth!
Help us decorate our MITTEN TREE with new mittens, gloves, hats and socks.
All items will be donated to the Scott Mission to help needy families.
This annual tradition is based on the lovely picture book by Candace Christiansen.
StoryFusion Cabaret! presents
Journeys to Canada
from South and East Family Trees
Saturday, January 28, 2018 | 8:00 PM | Advance tickets: $17
Join Njacko Backo and Bernice Hune as they tell
“The World Beyond My Village”
and “Telling Tales in Gold Mountain”
Smile! Friday, October 20th will be picture day for all grades.
Click on this link to get a copy of the 2017/18 school year calendar. It has useful holiday and PA day information:
Dear Parents/Guardians of da Vinci Alternative Public School,
It’s a real pleasure to be back in good health to start a new school year. I hope you had a refreshing and enjoyable summer with your family. I would like to acknowledge the hard work and dedication of all our staff last year during my absence, and the support of the school community for this wonderful little school.
I’m especially delighted to welcome Carol Shea to our community as my co-principal for this year. Carol has spent several years as vice-principal in schools with French Immersion programs and brings a wealth of background in supporting students with special needs. This additional support will help us maintain continuity of program and provide stability for both school communities over the coming year. Our thanks to Mary Jane McNamara, Superintendent of Schools, for her advocacy.
Parents are our partners – we share the responsibility for our children’s success. As we begin this exciting new school year, if you have questions specifically about the Special Education process, feel free to call Carol Shea.
If you have questions regarding students in da Vinci Alternative Public School JK – Gr 6 or regarding EQAO or bussing, please direct your questions to Beth Mills. As co-principals, we will work together to support both schools.
Our staff has spent considerable personal time over the past weeks planning for effective learning, and preparing attractive and welcoming classrooms. Our school hallways and classes sparkle, after a busy summer of hard work by our caretaking staff, Angelo, Louis and Dave. We are blessed with a committed staff!
What’s new this year? Please make sure to check this website for upcoming events and information.
- ENTRY: The da Vinci entry bell for all da Vinci students rings at 8:50 am.
- New this year, students will line up by class at their designated spot inside the schoolyard.
- Classroom teachers will pick their class up outside and escort to the classroom via the Spadina doors. We believe this will allow for a calmer, more focussed start to the learning day.
- Dismissal for da Vinci Kindergarten students is at 3:05 pm in the schoolyard.
- Dismissal for da Vinci grades 1 – 6 is at 3:15 pm at the Spadina doors.
Please note: The Lansdowne instructional day is 30 minutes longer than da Vinci, due to the International Language program. Entry and dismissal times of the two schools differ by 15 minutes at the beginning and end of the school day.
- We are looking forward to continuing work on the schoolyard rejuvenation with the Outdoor Space committee, incorporating the work from last year with OPAL around Loose Parts play. We are pleased to have a new storage shed for play materials.
- A big change for us is the addition of before- and after-childcare, which has permits for all the classrooms on our first floor. It’s exciting to finally have on-site care for our students. We know there will be some challenges, with over 75 students enrolled in the program. The classroom space is shared with classroom teachers and International Languages programs. Safety and security is our prime concern, especially at the beginning and end of the school day.
- Some important changes to note for the basketball/tennis court:
- 8:30 to 8:50 am The court is reserved for the use of the in-school childcare only.
(due to childcare licensing regulations.)
- 3:30 to 4:00 The court is reserved for TDSB-bussed students only at this point.
(the increased numbers of bused students, waiting in front of the school was a safety concern)
You will receive a number of important forms and information this week. TDSB permission forms have been streamlined (yay!). We ask that you return them to us by Friday, September 15.
Carol and I wish you and your children a safe, happy and enjoyable year full of growth and discovery. May the spirit of curiosity and the joy of learning be with you!
**NOTE** start and finish times have changed (from last year). The new times are as follows:
Entry bell at 8:50 a.m. and dismissal at 3:15 p.m (3:05 for kindergarten). Please take note of this important change.
On Monday June 26, 2017, da Vinci and Lord Lansdowne will be having an OPAL Play Day.
Students will be going outside to play according to a schedule being created by the OPAL Lead Team. We are asking that parents ensure students are prepared for outdoor play that day (e.g. hat, sunscreen, bottle of water etc.), including having a change of clothes, as there will be water play.