da Vinci School was initiated by a proposal from several parents who wanted an Waldorf – inspired approach to be available within the public system. After extensive community consultation, the Toronto District School Board passed a recommendation in March, 2009, to start the school, based on the following mandate:
“The da Vinci School will be a Waldorf-inspired school, following the ideas and ethical principles of the almost 950 Waldorf schools in 60 countries.
The foci of the da Vinci School include the following:
- A stimulating learning environment with integrated subjects, hands-on learning and a structured school day
- Co-operative learning strategies in place in all subject areas
- A high level of parental involvement to help create a positive, creative and encouraging close-knit school culture
- A technology and commercial-free environment in the early grades to stimulate creativity and imagination
- A supportive and responsible Code of Conduct for students”
We are currently working as a community of teachers and parents, with the support of our superintendent, trustee and the TDSB staff, as well as a mentor from the Waldorf community, to build the school as a caring community and a place for holistic learning.